Azure Weekly Issue 68: 20th March 2016
Although not strictly Azure related, the big announcement last week from Microsoft was availability of SQL Server 2016 on Linux.
The Application Insights team announced a list of new performance improvements and service updates. Meanwhile, there was guidance around transitioning mobile apps from Application Insights to HockeyApp, as Application Insights moves to focus on web apps and services.
The Azure blog shows us how it's now possible to access the Red Hat Customer Portal from Azure when you provision a Red Hat Enterprise Linux VM from the Azure Marketplace.
Microsoft also announced that is has joined the Eclipse Foundation, providing a number of Eclipse-based tools to enable Azure cloud application development for the community. They provide a blog post to show how to get started deploying Java Web Apps to Azure using Eclipse.
AI + Machine Learning
Covering: Azure Batch AI, Azure Bot Service, Microsoft Genomics, Machine Learning services, Machine Learning Studio, Cognitive Services, Bing APIs, Computer Vision API, Content moderator, Custom Services, Emotion API, Face API, Language Understanding (LUIS), Linguistic Analysis API, QnA Maker API, Speaker Recognition API, Text Analytics API, Translator Speech API, Translator Text API, Web Language Model API
Covering: Azure Databricks, HDInsight, Data Factory, Stream Analytics, Data Lake Analytics, Event Hubs, Power BI, Azure Analysis Services, Apache Spark for HDInsight, Apache Storm for HDInsight, R Server for HDInsight, Data Catalog
- On the Azure blog, Drew Dipalma discusses Azure SQL Data Warehouse: February 2016 update
Covering: Virtual Machines, Functions, Batch, Service Fabric, Virtual Machine Scale Sets, Cloud Services, Linux Virtual Machines, SAP HANA on Azure Large Instances
- On TechNet, 'RalfWi' explains how to Create your own VM images
Covering: Container Registry, Container Instances, Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS), Web App for Containers
Covering: Azure SQL Database, Azure Cosmos DB, SQL Data Warehouse, Redis Cache, SQL Server Stretch Database, SQL Server on virtual machines, Table storage, Azure Database for PostgreSQL, Azure Database for MySQL
Covering: Visual Studio, Visual Studio Code, SDKs, Developer tool integrations, CLIs, Blockchain Workbench
Covering: Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS), Azure DevTest Labs, DevOps tool integrations, Azure DevOps Projects, Azure Lab Services
Covering: Azure Active Directory, Multi-factor Authentication, Azure Active Directory Domain Services, Azure Active Directory B2C
- On TechNet, Mvp Dishan Francis writes about Step-By-Step: Monitoring On-Premise Active Directory via Azure AD Connect Health
- Also on TechNet, Shannon Gowen describes Tip of the Day: The Conditional Access Framework and Device Compliance for VPN Part 4
- On the Redmond magazine site, AUTHOR discusses Okta CEO: Microsoft Is Losing in Enterprise Mobility
Covering: Service Bus, Logic Apps, Event Grid
- On TechNet, Joe Davies discusses March 2016 CAAB Webinar announcement
- On the Azure blog, Clemens Vasters (@clemensv) writes about Important changes coming for Service Bus and Events Hubs
Internet of Things
Covering: IoT Hub, IoT Suite, IoT Edge, IoT Central, IoT solution accelerators, Time Series Insights, Azure Maps, Azure Sphere
Management and Governance
Covering: Backup, Site Recovery, App Insights, Azure Advisor, Sceduler, Automation, Log Analytics, Azure Monitor, Security & Compliance, Protection & Recovery, Automation & Control, Insight & Analytics, Azure Service Health, Microsoft Azure portal, Azure Resource Manager, Cloud Shell, the Azure mobile app, Azure Policy, Cost Management, Azure Managed Applications
- On the Kloud blog, Mike Wieggers explains how to Add workdays and public holidays to your Azure Automation runbooks
- On MSDN, Robert Green - Mfst writes about Visual Studio Toolbox: Infrastructure as Code
- Also on MSDN, the Schray delves into Getting your Azure Subscription GUID
- On Channel 9, Donovan Brown Robert Green talks about Infrastructure as Code Visual Studio Toolbox
- On the MSSQL Tips site, AUTHOR explains how to Configure and Customize SQL Azure Dynamic Data Masking
- On the Tech Radar site, Darren Allan talks about Windows 10 to get ground-breaking features that will 'change everything'
Covering: Media services, Encoding, Live and On-Demand Streaming, Azure Media Player, Content Protection, Media Analytics, Video Indexer
Microsoft Azure Stack
Covering: Azure Stack
Covering: Azure Database Migration Service, Azure Migrate, Data Box
Covering: App Service (Mobile), Notification Hubs, Mobile apps, API apps, Visual Studio App Centre, Xamarin
Covering: ExpressRoute, Azure DNS, Virtual Network, Traffic Manager, Load Balancer, VPN Gateway, Application Gateway, Network Watcher
- On TechNet, Monica Jain Mpn writes about Digital Partner of Record – Back to Basics
Covering: Azure Information Protection, Key Vault, Security Center, Azure DDoS Protection, Azure Advanced Threat Protection
Covering: Storage, StorSimple, Data Lake Store, Blob Storage, Disk Storage, Managed Disks, Queue Storage, File Storage, Storage Explorer, Archive Storage
- On the Azure blog, Ahmet Alp Balkan (@ahmetalpbalkan), Software Engineer - Azure Compute, announces that Persistent Docker volumes with Azure File Storage
Covering: App Service (Web), API Management, Content Delivery Network, Azure Search, Web apps, Azure SignalR Service
- Thomas Maurer (@thomasmaurer) explains how to Migrate your WordPress Blog to Microsoft Azure Web Apps
- On the GoorooTHINK blog, AUTHOR walks through Moving a Cloud App to a different Azure Resource Group
Azure Weekly Archive
If you would like to read more interesting articles from the Azure ecosystem check out our archive where you will find all of the back issues.
If you would like to contribute any content to the Azure Weekly newsletter, please email email@example.com